Thursday, February 3, 2011

Question #1 - Discuss Subjective and Objective Claims

A subjective claim is based on opinions or feelings. Because it is based on personal opinions, it can be true or false. Subjective claims cannot be proven whether something is true or false by any means. On the other hand, an objective claim is based on facts instead of a person's opinion.
I recently bumped into an old classmate/friend who happened to be in the same Chemistry lecture class as me, and she mentioned about how much she liked the way our professor taught. This is a subjective claim because this is based on her own opinion. This was what she felt about our Chem professor. However, other students who are enrolled in the same lecture class may think that he is not a very good professor. Depending on how students like to learn, whether it is online or face to face, they have their own opinions and emotions about their professor. Therefore, this sentence can be both true or false. An objective claim I have recently heard was when I had a conversation with my mom. She was explaining to me how to cook a large amount of green vegetables. As we added water into the pot, my mom added salt before boiling the water. She told me that when you put salt in water, the water boils faster. Water with salt heats up faster and gets at its boiling point faster than regular water. This is a proven fact because in my Chemistry class, my professor gave an example in the book of how it takes less energy to raise the temperature of water that has salt. In addition, he told us to go on the web and research if it was true or not.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your example. I come across the subjective claims about how a certain professor teaches all the time. Not everybody agrees because it all depends on how we learn things. A professor will always be either be loved or hated.

    ReplyDelete

Followers