Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Valid VS Strong

A valid argument is when both, the premise and the conclusion are true. A premise must be connected to the conclusion so that the argument is supported. People can back up their argument with supporting evidence. One example of a valid argument is that it takes me about 10-15 minutes to walk from home to school in the morning. My class starts at 9:30AM on Tuesday and Thursdays. Therefore, if I walk to school at 9:10-9:15AM, I will arrive to class on time.

A strong argument is when a premise is true and when a conclusion can be false. They are usually really hard to argue against because there are good evidence to support their claim. An example of a strong argument from my everyday life is my allergic reaction to crab. One night during dinner, I ate about five pieces of crab and my face started itching like crazy literally ten minutes later! Not to mention my arms too... Assuming that I might have been allergic to crab, I did not know it was for sure which means that my conclusion would have been false.. However, my mom brought me to the doctor's the next day and my doctor told me that I had an allergic reaction due to eating shellfish.

4 comments:

  1. I didn’t include in my post that strong arguments are hard to argue against, but I agree. Your example about the allergic reaction to shellfish was good. It would be very difficult for someone to argue against a diagnosis from your doctor regarding your allergy to shellfish. It’s sad that you can’t enjoy it anymore, but luckily there are other good foods out there! I also liked your example for the valid argument. I guess you can also try timing yourself and use that too right? It would be difficult to argue against your own tests to see whether or not your argument was true. But… I guess some people walk at a different pace, so that may not be the greatest evidence. But great examples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate walking but that’s not a bad walk what so ever! You’re lucky that you live so close. It takes me like 20 minutes to just drive to San Jose State every morning. Ah that sucks that you’re allergic to shellfish! I do don’t think I would be able to survive without shellfish. Seafood is my favorite thing in the world to eat! Sorry to hear about that but at least now you know what to not eat in order to not get the allergic reaction because that sounds terrible! Great examples though, these examples make it much easier to understand what your trying to explain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good examples. And walking is healthy for you so no worries. You may be allergic to shellfish but I don't think it is bad as mine because I'm allergic to alcohol. It sucks and good at the same time. It sucks because every time I go party with my friends, I always end up as the DD and good because I will never get a ticket for DUI. :D

    Very good examples though. Eat salmon and shrimps, instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, you must be a quick walker, or something! I swear I still take about ten to fifteen minutes just to get to class, and I live on campus. I like your examples! Very easy to understand, and it translates well from the concepts we're trying to learn. When reading the book, I sometimes still cannot completely grasp the idea they are trying to convey, so this especially helps, thank you very much, lol. :)

    Your second example is very good at showing what it's supposed to do, as the result of confirming your argument with the evidence of a doctor's visit proves to be a very strong argument, as well as, one that is now very hard to argue against (especially against a doctor's analysis).

    ReplyDelete

Followers