Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Question #2 - Vague/Ambiguous Sentences

2). Use an example from everyday life: Describe a vague sentence or ambiguous sentence you have heard recently. Where did you hear this sentence? An advertisement? Was it a conversation with a friend? What qualified the sentence as vague or ambiguous?


Vague is explained as something that is unclear or misunderstood. During the first week of Fall semester, I asked a random female student near the Greek booths where the Business Boccardi building was located. She told me that it was behind the Student Union building. As I walked towards the Student Union, I noticed several different buildings that were "behind" the Student Union. The term "behind" was unclear to me because if I was walking towards the Student Union from a different direction, I would have never knew where BBC was..


Ambiguous is often defined as something that has more than one meaning. An ambiguous sentence that I have heard recently is "Are you going to use this?" It was from a conversation with my roommate a few hours ago, in which she asked me this question while we were cleaning our room. This is considered as an ambiguous sentence because I had no idea what she implied "this" to. She could have meant that "this" was my laptop, textbooks, pens or pencils, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers