Monday, March 7, 2011

Ch. 6 -- Compound Claims

In Chapter 6 of the Epstein text, I have learned about the contradictory of a claim. "The contradictory of a claim is one that has the opposite truth-value in all possible circumstances. Sometimes a contradictory is called the negation of a claim" (Epstein, P 114). In other words. when a claim is stated, there may be contradiction to it, as in stating the opposite. In this chapter, there are two that I have learned: the "Contradictory of an OR claim," as well as a "contradictory of an AND claim." While the two terms. "and" and "or" mean two completely different things, both contradictory claims have different definitions as well. I have learned that the contradictory of an OR claim is when one or the other has contradictory. For instance, "I will pick up my brother at school, or I will go shopping." The contradictory of this statement is "I will go shopping and I will not pick up my brother." The contradictory of an AND claim is when both has contradictory. Example: Dogs can sniff really well, and they are colorblind. Dogs are colorblind, but cats are not.

Another thing I have learned in Chapter 6 is Reasoning from Hypothesis. People must have a legitimate hypothesis to have a good argument. (If A, then B). If A seems to be true or valid, then B is equivalent to A. A leads to B which will make sense. Example: If Annie is not a full-time student, then she is unable to receive financial aid.

3 comments:

  1. Oh hey, I also used the same 2 concepts as yours. I enjoyed your descriptions of each term. I agree with your description of the contradictory of a claim. It was simple and straight forward. I like how you clearly state the differences of claim and contradictory in your example. In the reasoning from hypothesis, it is true people must have a reasonable hypothesis to have a good argument since we can’t always have evidence to support it. Your example for that is easy to understand since it follows the format if a, then b. Overall, you did a great job on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did contradictory claims. Your description of this claim is correct and very helpful. The contradictory claim is the opposite of the other claim in all-possible circumstances. I like how straight forward and clearly it was explained in the text therefore it was easier to understand and know the term. I like how you used both examples of a claim and contradictory claim. It clearly shows that you understand the materiel and know the difference between them both. I did not do reasoning from hypothesis, but your explanation of this term is clear to understand. Your example made it easy to understand because I can relate to it because I am a student on financial aid as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Your explanations on both concepts are really helpful. I found contradicting a claim very easy because all you have to do is state the opposite of your first claim. Just like how you did on your examples, complete opposite like how the colors black and white are totally opposite of each other. As for the reasoning from hypothesis, I think they just have to be a fact in order for the statement to lead into to your conclusion just like what you state on your example, we all know that if a student is not a full-time student, then the student won't be able to get financial aid. Your examples are really helps and made your explanations crystal clear. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete

Followers