Thursday, March 3, 2011

Inferring & Implying

As I was reading Chapter 4 of the Epstein text, I thought Section E (Inferring & Implying) was an interesting concept to learn about. Sometimes I get the two mixed up and after reading this section, it helped me understand the difference a little more. The two words, "inferring" and "implying" have quite different meanings. Inferring is usually when a person comes to an unstated claim is the conclusion; a thought about something. When I "infer" something, it is usually inferred to a person or an animal. For example, if a person says something about your pet cat, he or she is usually inferring something about the dog. On the other hand, implying is usually when a person leaves a conclusion unsaid; in other words, suggesting something. For example, if you are doing horrible on your Math tests, and your teacher suggests that you should get tutored, your teacher is "implying." It may sound a bit confusing and you may get these two terms mixed up, it's actually very different.

3 comments:

  1. These are perhaps the two words that people always always misuse. Especially if they are ESL or something. I would have liked it more if you used a more simpler definitions of the words rather than "dictionary definitions". What I realize is, when I imply and infer things mentally I don't really differentiate. The textbook makes it sound so easily to spot the differences, and maybe it is for some, but, to a bilingual like me, I don't see much of a difference unless I really pick at it. To me, inferring something means to use all of the "hints" or evidence to find a conclusion . Implying something would go more along the lines of me "assuming" something. Such as, seeing a woman holding hands with a man. I would assume or imply that they were a pair and have some sort of intimate relationship. Or actually, I still don't really see much of a difference... Guess I still have to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Inferring" and "implying" are commonly misunderstood to be synonyms (meaning I thought they were D:), but seeing from what the textbook eventually illustrates, and from your post, really helps in clearing out that mistake. It makes sense to see the clear line between those two words. You used wonderful examples to show what the definitions and overall idea was to differentiate and more easily portray to the reader what you are trying to say, which is wonderful and insightful because it is enlightening for those who may not know what the differences are. Wonderful post! Simple and very much to the point.

    ReplyDelete

Followers