Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chapter 15 -- Cause & Effect in Populations

In Chapter 15 of the Epstein's text, I learned about Cause & Effect in Populations. The textbook states that "cause in populations is usually explained as meaning that given the cause, there is a higher probability that the effect will follow than if there weren't a cause. (Epstein, 320). The example that the chapter provides is about how smoking causes cancer. Like the DUI example, it isn't always true, but it is a fact that if someone smokes for such a long period of time, then cancer will eventually develop in one's body. As well as if someone drink and drive, they will eventually get caught one day.
 Generally, I have noticed that a lot of people generalize claims that involve large populations and in cause & effect situations. We make claims that if you do a, then b will happen (such as the example given in Chapter 15). Some generalized claims may be true or false. What we are doing when we make generalized claims about a population is called a "Cause in Populations."

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this post! IF you do A, then B will happen. But, sometimes even if you don't do A you can still get B. And sometimes when you do A you don't get B. I find that very very interesting because before I took this class. I look at statements and other people's claims very seriously. Especially smoking, exercising everyday, drinking, etc where the ads for beer are everywhere during the superbowl and anti-smoking ads. This class made me realize that NOT everything people say is true. They exaggerate a whole lot either to get your attention or for some personal/corporal gains. And now, I always do at least 40% true deduction from everything I see on the media. Even if I see that same line over and over again I still take that 40% off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those two examples are definitely relatable, and widely advertised and discussed, making the concept of cause and effect easier to dissect and identify. I feel as though my decision making process is largely unknowingly based on cause and effect now that I think of it. Also the more that I think about it I realize that a great majority of my parents parenting advice and concerns revolve around the notion that if I do A then B will happen. My mom is very anti-smoking, as her brother is a chain smoker. She always has told us ever since we were little that if we smoke we will get cancer. It’s crazy how concepts like these that we learn in this class have been discretely taught to us throughout our lives which is neat. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you used the if A then B example to show your point about generalizing claims because they are more common when being used in larger quantities or in populations. I also agree with the two posts above me. you both took the first post and added additional information you learned to the post, so by the time I read it I got a full breakdown of the first post plus additional information.

    ReplyDelete

Followers