Friday, April 22, 2011

Fallacy of Composition

In Chapter 12 of the Epstein's textbook, there are many examples on judging analogies. One of them is called "fallacy of composition." This term means whether or not something is true just because another individual or group believes it is true. Fallacy of composition reminds me of Generalization because things are usually assumed without more information. If something is true for an individual, then it is true for a group. Vice versa as well. An example to give better understanding is: A bus causes more pollution than a car. Therefore, cars are less of a pollution problem than buses." This may or may not be valid or strong. Most transportation would cause pollution, and people do not really know whether it is true or not. If one person said that buses make more pollution than cars, then other groups and individuals would believe so. Many people draw analogies between people and bigger groups, but they usually have no premises. Therefore, people would not be convinced that something is true or not.

2 comments:

  1. I feel that this is an important concept because part of our daily life and individuality is establishing for ourselves despite what our peers and society thinks and determining what we think is true and right. This is the whole notion behind America, being the Land of the Free, we are able to think and believe freely for ourselves. I liked your example that you gave seeing as I have been doing a lot of research on that topic for my other class as I am writing a paper on global warming. Of course one should only establish their view and position on situations through research rather than assumption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was something that I also chose to write about. There was something interesting about it. I have never heard of the fallacy of composition; however, I have found myself comparing a person to a group or the other way around. And, if I recall, I have heard other people talk in this manner too. I think it’s something that people don’t realize they’re doing. But I liked your example. While writing mine, I had to think hard on what example to use. But I like that you example is very appropriate and relatable because pollution is something that we are constantly dealing with and something that we are trying to reduce.

    ReplyDelete

Followers